You know, this idea is starting to grow on me, and the bookmarks
record is already defined in the DBFormat doc.  I could certainly put
something in it in the distiller.  Perhaps the viewer could treat this
as something like Categories; that is, as a starting place (if
present) for an external bookmarks DB for this document.

I could certainly index pages (for multi-page documents), and internal
anchors inside pages.  Not so sure about the <h1>, <h2>, etc. stuff
that David mentions MobiPocket does.  Controlled by a --auto-bookmarks
switch to the distiller.

Bill