On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 22:49, [a user] wrote:

> Plucker will pluck whole websites, so making a table of contents is
trivial
> (just make an HTML index page and pluck that, with spidering depth set
> something >1).

That is true, and I've done it myself.

The result of TeX -> latex2html -> plucker-build is quite decent.
And placing a 'Contents' link on the document's title page allows
'2-touch' access to the contents.

But compare to PalmReader's TOC feature. One tap gets you to the TOC, as
a dedicated pop-up dialog. On this dialog, the cursor is positioned at
the chapter/section one has just been reading. An absolute killer
feature for mental continuity.

Yeh - I know I'm being picky.
But it's surprising the difference small things like this can make.
Especially when we're dealing with the [in]convenience of actions that
are taken time and time again.

An approach which MobiPocket takes is to let you specify the HTML tags
that are used to build the TOC. For instance, you can specify
'h1,h2,h3', and have those tags built into the TOC.

Please don't take my criticisms harshly. Nothing would please me more
than to see the Plucker format emerging as the de-facto standard for all
Palm docs.

Lastly - the logo - an idea I've had, which could justify the name
'plucker', is a pair of tweezers holding a miniature planet Earth.

Cheers
David