> > the PalmOS viewer does not check to see if the environment permits
> > [it] to be built.
>
> Bollocks!
>
> If it didn't check the environment then why are you complaining that
> it "errors out"?

I was temporarily confused by the movement of the configuration code
from the top-level configure.in to the one in the viewer subdirectory.
What I mean to say is that it will attempt to configure and build
the viewer, but if that fails will not go on to configure the other
elements of the system which can still be usefully built.

> > I don't want to fiddle with that till he's done. I thought I'd just
> > change the default to disable, so that one would have to configure
> > with --enable-palmosbuild to enable it.
>
> You will not "fiddle" with it at all until you know what you are
> doing. In case you have missed it, the viewer has its own configure
> script and there is nothing to "disable" in that script.

No fear, I know what I'm doing and I didn't miss the sub-configure
script.

> However, I don't agree with you that everything should be disabled by
> default. If I download a source package I usually intend to build the
> program not just sit and admire the code. Everything should be enabled
> by default and then it's up to the developers to make sure that they
> have the correct environment (or disable the parts they can't build.)

Yes, I generally agree with you.  However, let me advance the argument
that Plucker has been morphing a bit over the last year from a
Palm-centric system to something that's perhaps a bit more general.
Not there yet, the PalmOS viewer is still the star of the show, but
it's moving in that direction.

So we might think about how to support the user who wants to build the
Linux desktop, distiller and viewer, but not necessarily the PalmOS
tools.  One way to do that in the absence of explicit command-line
switches might be to check for the presence of the necessary
cross-compilation tools.  If they seem to be present, we build the
PalmOS stuff; if not, we issue a message that we're not attempting to
build the PalmOS stuff, and still allow the other parts of the system
to be built.  But as long as the PalmOS stuff terminates the configure
process on the failure of the PalmOS tools, this won't work.

I'm doing this for the Java distiller code, and it will provide an
example of the approach I'm suggesting.

> BTW, I must say I'm a bit confused by your "reply technique"; sometimes
> proper replies, next time top posting, and then all of sudden replies
> with no context at all...

Sorry; it's no doubt due to my abjectly horrible email reading habits.
I'll work on it, and try to do better.

Bill