> chrish(chrish)$ autoconf
> configure.in:154: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross
> compiling

        A fix like this might be the solution:

        if test -f "/Library/Java/Home"; then
                AC_DEFINE(ON_MACOSX)
        fi

        ..then test for ON_MACOSX, and proceed. I just tested it here, and
it works fine. The overall recommendation from most people familiar with the
innards of autoconf is to avoid the AC_CHECK_FILE([]) macros, if you can't
guarantee the versions of autoconf being used (they aren't as portable
anyway).

        The other solution, which I've suggested before, is to declare a
macro to require a specific version or later, i.e.:

        AC_PREREQ(2.53)

d.