On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 01:25:02PM -0600, Adam McDaniel wrote:
>>       arm-palmos-gcc -nostartfiles -O2 -o search search.c
>>       build-prc -o viewer.prc [...] search [...]
[...]
> - Is prc-tools 2.2 is required to build armlets using this method?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Yes, 2.2 is the first version of
prc-tools that contains an ARM compiler, so yes of course you need at
least 2.2 if you are using prc-tools.  Conversely, the smarts behind
STANDALONE_CODE_RESOURCE_ID is local to prc-tools, so prc-tools, rather
than some generic arm-elf GCC, is indeed required to use this method.

> - I remember reading somewhere that I should use the additional CFLAGS
>   '-nostdlib -fPIC -ffixed-r9' .. are they not technically required?

If you use arm-palmos-gcc -v, you'll see that it has -fPIC -ffixed-r9
switched on by default.  It's called "convenience" :-), and to be sure
it should probably be mentioned in the documentation somewhere.

Some people who have (badly) hand-rolled their own GCCs have not built
standard libraries correctly, so they have got into the habit of using
-nostdlib to avoid the errors from their faulty installations.  There's
no need with prc-tools, and indeed there are useful things in prc-tools's
standard library, and there will be more in 2.3.

> - To make the Makefile simpler, I used this method..
>
>     arm-palmos-gcc -nostartfiles -O2 -o search.o search.c
>     build-prc -o viewer.prc [...] search.o [...]

That is extremely misleading.  ".o" means an object file that has not
yet been linked, but the file that the first line above generates has
indeed been linked (though probably not with much :-)).  There's a
reason why there's no -c there!  The convention for a fully linked
executable is of course to have no extension (or ".exe" if you're into
Windows), and, while it won't make any difference to the tools, making
humans think that your compiled search.c has not been linked will lead
to great confusion IMHO.

    John