Alexander R. Pruss wrote:

I wouldn't use backward scrolling (I don't think I ever have). You can
look for the original thread in the archives to see the full discussion
about it including the comments from those who desired the feature.

Alas, I can't find it in the archives...

Maybe we could just make the page- and backwards-scrolling a compile-time
option, default off, and wait to see if any user complains that it
disappeared.

I am ambivalent, entirely.

Perhaps you can post a note to plucker-list and ask how many are still using it. If no one is using it, and it makes the source smaller and more compact, then it is a candidate for removal. Mike does get the final say though as maintainer perogative.

Best wishes,
Robert