Just let it run a cycle on it - not always clear, I'll find i don't notice where it ends or start at times, but varies with the amount. I'd say maybe a few hours on 8-16gb to run all patterns.

I had a video card glitch and cause panics like that before when in death throws.

-mb

On 01/14/2014 01:38 PM, j...@actionline.com wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions ...

I'm running memtest86 now.
How long should this run?  Now running about an hour ...

I'll check the other suggestions later.

--------------
On 2014-01-14 11:26, j...@actionline.com wrote:
I finally rebooted again, and saw a screen full of messages including
"unable to handle kernel paging request"
... I think there might be a hardware
problem somewhere in this machine.

You can attempt to diagnose the problem by booting from a rescue
system.  If those things fail in a similar manner, it's almost certainly
a hardware problem.  (If the rescue system works fine, then your Mint
install is borked, but that seems sort of unlikely.)  Or if a rescue
system works fine except when you start up a GUI, it's a problem with
the graphics card.  Or if it works fine until you try to start DHCP,
it's a problem with the NIC.  The other thing to check is the case and
airflow--make sure there aren't any dust bunnies blocking the fans or
anything.  If you suspect the RAM is the problem, the memtest86 option
on many rescue systems will probably say something if you had bad RAM.