Perhaps your hard drive is dying and since you were running Linux, at the time, thats where the damage occurred. Or something happened software wise the cause file system corruption.

If boot disks or other hard drives are working, you could try booting into one of those and then mounting your root file system, chrooting to the mount and then reloading everything that is complaining on boot. I usually find I have to do the following mounts to get packages to install correctly in a chroot environment.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

cd /mnt
chroot .

Of course you will need to mount any extra partitions you might have your drive sliced into. The above assumes everything is on one big partition.

If your hard drive is dying, this won't do you any good, or at best, will just buy you a little time before a catastrophic failure takes everything with it.

Brian Cluff