I get no variation at my house, never have (peoria), which is consistent with what you *should* see. If not, you're either a) in a saturated area for users, or b) you have RF issues at the house.

RF is variable, especially with temperatures as we see in az, and the copper tends to go bad at least every few years. Not all bad, but "suck out" occurs for the central conductor after enough expansion and contraction with heat/cold, and needs re-terminated. Check your levels on your modem direct (192.168.100.1 usually) if they allow for it, or call Cox and have them check. Nice part if you can see it yourself is you can check periodically when you're seeing issues, and just compare the upstream power, downstream power, and SNR levels against "normal" (google it).

If you're RF is spot on, you might be a congested area. Cable is a shared access medium, but Cox is usually pretty good about splitting nodes when things get too busy. If they have too many subs on a node, they'll physically split the RF, and peel off as many as they can into a new node area, standard for how they deal with oversubscription. Routine outages are often exactly this occurring.

You can ask cox how dense it is there, their tools will know (maybe just not the viewer interpreting it), but you'll likely not get a real answer out of them. If you hit a wall, let me know where you are offline (city/area), I can make something of an informal query how bad it is there.

-mb