Um,
How about a high gain antenna (you can purchase them from Fry’s electronics or
even on Amazon). If you can place the router, itself, in a good spot and use a
high gain antenna, you should be able to connect to another wi-fi system up to
half a mile away. It will save on complexity as well as expense for the extra
gear and cable. Also, I have seen multi-element beam antennas for Wi-fi and
they run about $25 to $40 depending on source. With slightly more than 30 DB
gain, and a tight beam width, it shouldn’t be hard to get into said neighbors
Wi-Fi even from inside a house.

Btw, I happen to be a ham radio operator as well as the local blind hacker, so
I am a bit more familiar with low cost designs when it comes to range extension.

-Eric
From the Central offices of the Technomage Guild, Research and development Dept