If the range extender or the router supports bridging mode via the WAN port,
then yes. Otherwise, it will depend on the device and it’s internal firmware. I
have actually setup a router to do this very thing wherein it’s wan port was on
a dedicated line to another router. That router was, in turn, acting as the
DHCP server on for it’s LAN ports. The Wi-fi from that router was then bridged
to another Wi-fi access point that had direct connection to the internet. This
basically allowed me to have a router at one end of the house as the primary,
use the secondary device as a bridge to a dedicated link to the third access
point, which behaved exactly like an AP. Thus, I was able to have a Wi-Fi
bridge that connected one end point to another. I had this arrangement for
quite a while as I didn’t have any LAN cables of sufficient length to reach
from the garage area to the opposite end of the house. I did, however, have a
short (10 foot) LAN cable that allowed me to feed from the bridge Wi-Fi device
to the end of LAN cable AP located outside in the garage area. Also, as there
was available power out there, I didn’t have to worry about POE. Also, I used
the 5 Ghz band as the bridge link and the Wi-fi B/G/N 2.4 Ghz band for the AP
only. Most of the rest of the house here is wired up, so I didn’t have need of
a Wi-Fi AP inside.

BTW< that outside AP was for guests who had the password and I also required
their MAC address in order to allow them to connect. No way am I going to run
anything out there unsecured. Also, that end point AP is connected to a VPN
server, so there is no access to anything else inside the lan from that device.
If anyone wants access to my internal LAN, I wish them luck as they will have
to tap in via hard wire..

-Eric
From the central offices of the Technomage Guild, Infrastructure Maintenance
dept.