Am 21. Nov, 2019 schwätzte Matt Graham so:

moin moin Matt,

On 2019-11-21 16:34, der.hans wrote:
Is it really, really easy to install and run debian and Ubuntu on Apple
laptops nowdays? Everything works? Networking, sound, hibernate, etc.?

It was slightly annoying to run Gentoo on an older OS X machine. Part of this was because it's Gentoo. Part of this was because it was 2017 and they've figured out a lot more stuff now. I had no problems with wired networking, but wireless required some fooling around with kernel modules that weren't marked stable yet. The whole experience was a lot like the Lenovo E595 install I did a few months back in that everything eventually worked, it just took more time than I would've liked. https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux says they are having trouble with sound on the really new machines, but lots of other stuff works at least partially.

It probably won't be a really new machine, but sound is a required feature
for me in this particular case. There are several sound applications I
need for work.

Does Apple hardware also have UEFI and other misfeatures?

Yes. rEFInd worked reasonably well for me so long as you don't need to change your kernel boot parameters all the time.

Are there any decent Apple laptops that have AMD processors?

Not AFAICT.

Extra security exploits for fun.

ciao,

der.hans

Can you add more RAM or are you stuck with whatever it came with

I believe you're stuck with whatever it came with.  ICBW.

--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  SeaGL is Nov 15-16 in Seattle - https://SeaGL.org/