Not sure what good a CS degree is these days. Seems like all anybody caress
about today is “at least 3 years hands-on experience with xyz and abc” to get
hired for stuff.

I read an article today that was saying how Google has been working hard to
replace Java in the Android ecosystem with Kotlin. I’m sure Java will be with
us a long time, but learning Kotlin could open some doors in the
not-too-distant future.

Five years later, Google is still all-in on Kotlin

https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/18/five-years-later-google-is-still-all-in-on-kotlin/

It’s been just over five years since Google first announced that it would make
Kotlin, the
statically typed language for the Java Virtual Machine first developed by
JetBrains, a first-
class language for writing Android apps at Google I/O 2017. Since then, Google
took this a
step further by making Kotlin its preferred language for writing Android apps
in 2019 — and
while plenty of developers still use Java, Kotlin is quickly becoming the
default way to build
apps for Google’s mobile operating system.

I suspect that when Google announces the first version of Android written in
Kotlin, it will open a huge demand for Kotlin programmers with even 6 months of
experience with it.

-David Schwartz