On 2022-08-22 00:17, David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Not sure what good a CS degree is these days. Seems like all anybody
caress about today is “at least 3 years hands-on experience with xyz
and abc” to get hired for stuff.

I consider a CS degree as an engineer. Those who follow this path can do things the rest of us cannot do like create parsers, compilers, and interpreters. Am I wrong?

I'm a programmer. I do not have the skills of a CS degree holder. You (David) can do lots of neat things that I cannot. I think your niche is smaller if you want to do engineering class work.

I had a love/hate relationship with IT for a long time because I struggled to find adequate W2 employment. I had to become a freelancer to rise to my potential, and that could be a book.

I bet you could spend a couple months learning Kotlin, put up a website and do freelance Kotlin development.

I have read articles that say freelancing will take over the world in the future. As companies start to realize they only need a core of employees supplemented by freelancers, then that will become the norm.

It has been my experience that small businesses mostly hire freelancers and have no IT staff.

I read an article today that was saying how Google has been working
hard to replace Java in the Android ecosystem with Kotlin. I’m sure
Java will be with us a long time, but learning Kotlin could open some
doors in the not-too-distant future.

Five years later, Google is still all-in on Kotlin

https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/18/five-years-later-google-is-still-all-in-on-kotlin/
[2]

It’s been just over five years since Google first announced that it
would make Kotlin, the
statically typed language for the Java Virtual Machine first developed
by JetBrains, a first-
class language for writing Android apps at Google I/O 2017. Since
then, Google took this a
step further by making Kotlin its preferred language for writing
Android apps in 2019 — and
while plenty of developers still use Java, Kotlin is quickly becoming
the default way to build
apps for Google’s mobile operating system.

I suspect that when Google announces the first version of Android
written in Kotlin, it will open a huge demand for Kotlin programmers
with even 6 months of experience with it.

-David Schwartz

On Aug 21, 2022, at 7:08 AM, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss