trent shipley via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:50:30 -0700

>(Lead buried in last two or three paragraphs.)

>1.  I'm autistic, so I can't interview worth a damn.

[snip]

>2.b.  There is a tremendous shortage of software writers, but no one is
>going to be studpid enough to hire one until they have completed an
>accredited degree, done an internship, done a bootcamp, and maybe
>gotten some certs.

I don't think 2.b is true. I busted into programming without an IT
degree or certs. A lot of others I knew did the same thing. About 6
years ago three successful developers got on stage and described how
they'd made it. In all three cases, it boiled down to "fake it til you
make it." Of course, one needs talent to follow that path. I think of a
degree as a crutch for those who have little talent.

Now if you can't interview worth a damn, that does complicate the
situation. I have no idea what it's like to be autistic. If you're
capable of portraying a cool, calm confidence that of course you can do
what they're asking you to do, then you can follow the "fake it til you
make it" route, assuming you have knowledge and skills.

I'd advise you to seek employment (or contract work) with smaller
companies, where you can speak directly to those who make the final
hiring decision.

I think your idea of a publically accessible software portfolio is an
outstanding idea, given your situation. You say you love Scala. By all
means author your portfolio software in Scala.

One last thing: Be careful using negative words like "studpid enough to
hire".

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt