Forgot to mention, but maybe consider domain types that are not dot-com. XYZ is
generally pretty cheap but you could shop around. I think you could do $5/year.
Ramnode used to have a cheap vps option of $3/y. If you go the VPS route, Luke
Smith on youtube has some informative and expeditious tutorial videos.

Jan 26, 2023 11:22:49 T Zack Crawford via PLUG-discuss
<plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org>:

> I have my site hosted by a ramnode vps and reserve my domain with namecheap.
> I haven't had any complaints on either but I won't go out and endorse them.
> If you're only worried about the python development end, you might consider
> heroku for non-formal or educational project web application hosting.
> Personally I found setting up nginx and reverse proxies kind of fun and
> informative, but maybe that's an unnecessary time sink for your use case.
>
> Jan 25, 2023 07:53:33 trent shipley via PLUG-discuss
> <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org>:
>
>> I'm on the bench with my employer asd studying test driven development using
>> Harry Precival's Test-Driven Development with Python.  Percival uses a
>> simple web site on Django as the practice or example project.  In chapter 9
>> the baby website gets put on a real hosted web server.  It needs to be an
>> olde fashioned service where you have the freedom to do a lot of admin work.
>>  That is, you need to have enough rope to hang yourself.  I also need a
>> domain name and  two sub-domain names.  Price is important.  I will probably
>> finish the tutorial book and throw the site away instead of keeping it as a
>> personal website.
>>
>> Has anyone got any suggestions for where to get a domain name and a hosting
>> service?
>>

>> Trent
>>

>> *Choosing Where to Host Our Site*
>>
>> There are loads of different solutions out there these days, but they
>> broadly fall into two camps:

* >> Running your own (possibly virtual) server
* >> Using a Platform-As-A-Service (PaaS) offering like Heroku, OpenShift, or
PythonAnywhere