Um,

Given you are on a windows box, wouldn’t it be easier to run VMWare or some
other virtual machine platform? I do that here on my OS X system when I need
linux (and ORCA screen reader). Sure, macports (the unix and linux like ports
software library) can be useful without having to deal with a VM, but X
desktops aren’t accessible with the built in screen reader and ORCA is not in
the macports library. :( So, even though I am stuck on a 2012 Mac mini (and I
don’t have the funds for upgrading), I can still use most of the latest
available (and accessible) X desktop items and ORCA from inside the VM
(including latest LTS versions of Ubuntu) It also means I don’t need to create
a bootcamp partition for the other OS, although that can sometimes be more
useful than a VM.

As for windows, too much is hit and miss on that platform accessibility wise
for me to use it reliably. Sure, the NVDA screen reader is open source, but
doesn’t work with everything and JAWS costs about $100 a year for a license and
also doesn’t work with everything. That is basically why I avoid windows unless
I have no other choice.

The only issue I have with apple products is that the EFI has no accessibility
whatsoever (in fact, none of the available hardware anywhere on the market for
computing has accessibility on the EFI). So, if I want to convert my old Mac
mini into a dedicated linux machine, I would have to have sighted assistance to
do so (a non starter here). And yes, I have even proposed to the EFI consortium
the use of BrlTTY in the EFI as an accessibility option (it is, after all, an
embedded linux). Yet, I see no response from them at all and I have tried every
year since 2010. Guess we blind computer techs don’t mean squat unless we can
bring a lot of money to the table. Now, if I knew the full in’s and out’s of
how the EFI is installed, configured and compiled, then it wouldn’t be hard to
create my own version with a built-in braille and speech interface. That would
provide a Fiat Accompli to the industry in general and allow many more like me
into the full IT fields without having to demand more reasonable
accommodations. Ah well, I have diverged from the original subject a bit, but
it is, at least, minimally related to this thread.

Anyway, since windows support for Unix services is a bit proprietary, why not
just go with a VM and call it good?

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Engineering and Development
Dept.

> On May 21, 2024, at 11:18 AM, Michael via PLUG-discuss
> <plug-discuss@lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
> well, I'm stuck in a world of windows now. but I gots to use linux so I'm
> doing wsl. How do I get gui to work: I ran apt update/upgrade/xinit but it
> responds with:
>
> _XSERVTansmkdir: Mode....X11-unix should.... 1777
> _XSERVTransCreateListener: failed...
> _XSERVTransUNIX...:failed
> _XSERVTransMakeALL... failed...
> etc....
>
> So could someone help me get x going until I can get a beloved linux box
> again?
> --
  • wsl Michael via PLUG-discuss
    • Re: wsl Patrick Callahan via PLUG-discuss
    • Re: wsl Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss
      • Re: wsl Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
      • Re: wsl Michael via PLUG-discuss
        • Re: wsl Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss
          • Re: wsl Snyder, Alexander J via PLUG-discuss
            • Re: wsl Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
        • Re: wsl Eric Oyen via PLUG-discuss