I read an article last year about a couple in Tucson that are capturing rain water and that was enough to supply their needs. I did some research and there is a formula based on roof space and rain fall that will determine the amount of water you can harvest. The article did not match my research.

I'm not going to deny we have a potential for a water short fall.

When people talk about Global Warming and/or Climate Change I always ask about the Mini Ice Age. Seems the weather has been changing for a long time. Long before fossil Fuels.

Not saying something is not happening, just saying there is more to the story.

And what about those supply chain issues? I studied Just-in-Time in 1989 or so. We have the Just-in-Time so tightly rapped that the supply chain is very fragile. There is hope. I've read the capitalists are figuring out how to fix the problem. Shipping containers are being built in China so the container does not have to be shipped back empty.

And much to our benefit in the area of the I-10/303 there is massive building going on. Tons of warehousing is being built in that corridor.

So how do I deal with it for now. I have a 2 year plan and a 5 year plan that includes Linux and PHP. I'm trying to not pay too much attention to all this.

Keith

On 2024-06-20 20:11, Matthew Crews via PLUG-discuss wrote:
On 6/20/24 6:16 AM, Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss wrote:

And what are you guys going to do about the coming lack of water?

It's all FUD. If anything, agricultural land uses more water than
residential land, and agricultural land is what's getting converted
to residential. So every acre converted means _less_ water use.

I think they're making a big deal out of it to make sure we don't
lose some water rights from the Colorado river, as California is
trying to take a larger portion of it.

I disagree that it is FUD, but there is certainly a lot of blame to go
around.

The fact of the matter is, the Colorado River has been drying up due
to both over-consumption and drastically reduced snowmelt caused by
global heating, and it's affecting the entire region. One wet winter
does not magically undo a couple decades of drought (Lake Mead still
isn't even remotely close to pre-2000 levels). Just as significantly,
other major sources of water in the geographical area are also drying
up (word is that the Great Salt Lake will become the Great Salt
Puddle, then the Great Arsenic Flats, in less than a decade).
Underground water tables are being pumped like there's no tomorrow
(similar to oil), with very limited means of replenishing them. And
did I mention that snowmelt over the long term and rainfall over the
long term are WAY lower than historic norms?

Wreckless and wasteful water use by agriculture is a major problem, to
be sure, and certainly the low hanging fruit that we can attack. But
to say that agriculture should be taking the brunt of it, and not
addressing ALL sources of increased water consumption, is foolish.
Maybe the impact won't be as high, but it's still meaningful in
aggregate. Per-capita, Arizonans consume more water than most states,
and we must do better as a state.[1] And of course California, Nevada
and Utah need to do their part too.

1.
https://mapazdashboard.arizona.edu/article/arizonas-water-use-sector

And depending who you ask, Phoenix (and Las Vegas) should not exist at
all! Having lived here my entire life, I'm starting to agree with that
sentimet.

But that's just my 2 cents.