Thanks for reminding me of George Carlin's Things to watch out for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwEKx1P7AOA

On 6/22/24 19:49, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Thomas Scott via PLUG-discuss said on Sat, 22 Jun 2024 09:05:35 -0400

Long term - I don't think the growth curve AZ is on is sustainable
without burying the water transport (converting canals to pipes) to
avoid evaporation from the exposed surface, but that has it's own set
of issues as well.

Short term - it scares me. The situation is tenable, but it's on a
razor's edge, and if there are issues with the dams/reservoirs, and
the supply, it's going to hurt. A lot.
Ugh! Long term every place on earth is in danger. I live in Florida,
where because of increasing frequency of category 3 through 5
hurricanes, house insurance will soon be unavailable. On moving to
Orlando in 1998, summer bicycle riding was uncomfortable but doable.
With a hotter climate and developers cutting down solar energy
absorbing trees, in June through September you can ride only the first
2 hours after sunrise and the last 2 hours before sunset.

California is burning up, literally. Fires all over the place.

When I lived in Chicago 1949-1980, a window fan would suffice. Now
Chicagoans die in heat events because their homes and apartments were
(understandably at the time) built without air conditioning.

At various parts of the midwest, farmers suffer because alternating
floods and droughts raise their crop insurance to the point of
non-profitability. Food will become less and less available to the
non-rich.

Small islands are getting drowned by higher water levels.
China, India and Mexico City have horrible pollution, and people are
dying from respiratory problems.

As development encroaches on formerly uninhabited areas,
oxygen-supplying trees disappear and new-to-human microbes are let
loose.

There will be a worldwide population decline. I hope it's done with
birth control, but fear it will be from heat, floods, disease, and
scarcity.

How's that for OT :_)

SteveT

Steve Litt