Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Fri, 20 Sep 2024 12:32:20 -0700

>3) I learned about the Hedgehog concept at almost 50.  I wish I would
>have learned about it earlier.

If you're like me and didn't know what the Hedgehog concept is, see
this:

https://www.jimcollins.com/concepts/the-hedgehog-concept.html

On the Venn diagram, "best in the world" is a gross oversimplification.
I *might* be the best in the world at describing the mindset and
process of troubleshooting, but there are probably 100 competitors
right there up with me. I might have even taught some of them. I'm
nowhere near the world's best at anything else, and have a hunch few
other people are the world's best at anything. I wish he'd said "damn
good" instead of "best in the world".

Other than that, the concept is right on target. I'll bet Jim Collins'
book tells you *how* to find such a profession, because unlike the
concept itself, how to achieve the concept isn't at all obvious.

True story: I loved bicycles, especially Schwinn bicycles, riding
bicyles, all things bicycles, and thought bicycles were the key to
improving the world. In a lot of ways, I still do. Anyway, in 1974
after graduating college, I called the Schwinn company, telling them
about my passion for bicycles and my engineering degree. The guy on the
phone, probably some underpaid HR dweeb, said "you sound like a jobless
BSEE who's desperate".

Schwinn really blew it. I would have been a real asset to them.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com