Am 14. Mai, 2008 schwätzte koder so:

After upgrading my OpenSSH and ancillary files using the Ubuntu update I
can no longer use sftp to logon between my desktop and laptop both
located inside of my DSL router.

It worked yesterday, in fact I just learned to use it yesterday before
updating. Now I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sftp [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Connecting to 198.162.1.101...
ssh: connect to host 198.162.1.101 port 22: Connection refused
Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ssh 198.162.1.101
ssh: connect to host 198.162.1.101 port 22: Connection refused

Looks like the ssh service didn't restart.

The Ubuntu notice said that the update would automatically update the
keys in installation after asking my permission. It did not ask.

ls -l /etc/ssh/ssh_host*

Are those dates from when you ran the update?

Are they older than Sep 2006?

If they're older than Sep 2006 there was nothing to update.

I ran the ssh-vulnkey tool as sudo. It did not return anything except a
new prompt.

Did you run with -a?

The notices says to check my keys by looking in various listed files.
What am I looking for?

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-2

Also check all of your known_hosts files. If host keys have changed, you
need to change their entries in all the known_hosts files for clients that
connect.

Can I just delete the contents of the files, or the files themselves to
start clean?

I looked in the /etc/ssh folder and found the 'moduli' file but am not
sure what to do with it.

Is that any documentation on this?

The bug reports have documentation, but I haven't found anything that will
answer all questions or adequately explain why some things need to be
done.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/
#  Strangers are friends just waiting to happen!