Thank you Eric and der.hans for your feedback.

Thanks to you I am now able to get my laptop and desktop log onto each
other using sftp.

After getting the correct IP address, I determined that openssh and the
sshd were not only not running, they were not even installed on the
desktop. I fixed that, generated new keys on the desktop and after
renaming the local_hosts to local_hostsOLD, I used touch to create a new
local_hosts on both computers.

When I created the new local_hosts file it had the same permissions as
the old one. kewl

Next step; get rsync to back up from laptop to the desktop using ssh
from a script. I think/hope I am on it.

Harold