Umm...I must be missing something here: you still need the hard
> connection
> to the outside world so how can you ssh into someone else's network
> without a working network connection of your own?

Yeah.. Cox is having issues connecting to some, not all networks.. My friend
has Qwest DSL and I happen to have good connectivity to him.

> Along the same lines, the guy who recommended the DSL resellers: it's
> still Qwest's copper that's getting resold, so while you don't have to
> deal with Qwest as far as billing issues, Qwest will still need to be
> dealt with if any connectivity issues between you and the DSLAM (and
> maybe further) happen.  I've had every type of connection except fiber
> and can tell you by experience that if you REALLY need that uptime, DSL
> won't give it to you any more than cable will.

The issue Cox is having now isn't a 'last mile' issue. Its how they tie into
the rest of everyone's networks at certain peering points.  Everyone has
these issues from time to time but the amount of time this Cox issue has
been happening is getting absurd.

It is definitely worth worth looking into a DSL reseller.. After the DSLAM
your packets are NOT on Qwest's network so there is less chance of the local
reseller doing stupid things like Bittorrent filter.. junk like that.. If
they *do* try to screw with your connection... it's easier to comminicate
with small ISPs as opposed to larger ones.

> On the other hand, wireless, such as WiMax and Canopy, will since you
> bypass wires entirely and everything is in control of the ISP you're
> dealing with up to the demarc between them and the outside world (i.e.,
> their own upstream).  I'm not about to say that wireless isn't without
> problems, but it very rarely goes totally down in my experience.  I know
> if I could get it here, I would.

The wireless options in Phoenix are very lacking.. unfortunately.