Am 12. Aug, 2008 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:

Ok, before anyone says something.. I know these are closed source. I'm
fine with that although I realize some people aren't for
understandable reasons.  When the open source versions support the
same features and performance with stability, I'll use it.

I need to buy a new laptop and I'm going to dual boot it.  Which has
better linux drivers: ATI or NVidia?

Intel.

Intel has been providing specs for a long time, so drivers are in better
shape.

I've found getting effects or dual-head working on ATI and nVidia to be a
pain.

I assume both support compiz-fusion with recent cards, right?

Compiz-fusion on Intel is supposed to just work.

If you're not planning on playing video games then the Intel card should
be great.

As an Aside, I wouldn't mind votes on my top 3 laptop vendors to choose from:
HP
Dell
Lenovo

I'm planning on getting the laptop with windows and installing Ubuntu,
Mandriva or OpenSuse myself.

You can buy from Dell with Ubuntu and install some other operating system
in a virtual machine :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  Learn OpenOffice.org - http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/BPC110.html
#  "The reasons for my decision to quit were myriad, but central to the