On Dec 9, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Stephen P Rufle wrote:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Stop_holding_our_kids_back

Interesting article about how a teacher took away Linux disks from a kid
who was passing them out.

I think the poster took the wrong tone with his reply to that teacher. Things like "you've been trained well" are just calculated to insult. If I were receiving a letter like that, I'd be done listening to this guy. A rant feels good when you write it, but it doesn't convince anyone of anything.

The teacher he's addressing obviously not aware of open source and what it is, but that's a pretty common thing outside of technology communities. If our attitude towards such people is going to be "You are obviously idiots!", I'm afraid we aren't going to advance the goals of Free Software very effectively.

It would have made a lot more sense to me to say "I can see why you'd be concerned about kids passing around copies of downloaded software, since copying things like Word is definitely illegal. But there's a whole world of software that doesn't work that way, and Linux is from that world. Let me show you how that can benefit your students..."

alex