HTML (javascript) in email can be used for harmful intent:

1) XSS tunneling
2) URI encoding crafted info/scripts
3) Virus [Microsoft]
4) Worms [RPC]

Most of these issues are trivially scrubbed with clamav (daily updated
signatures based on reported virus), spamassassin on the MTA
(sendmail,exim,postmaster, commercial versions of mail daemons) on both the
sending and recieving side along with 2 tons of spam.

Surfing to Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, Flickr, and other sites that accept user
submitted content is also dangerous.  Surfing (or accessing IRC) from root or
another escalated permission user is doubly foolhardy.

Using older Firefox, RealPlayer, Adobe Flash, Opening PDF's and displaying
jpg's (all graphics are executable -  like PDF's - which can trivially be
integrated with scripts) are also dangerous.

http://wiki.obnosis.com | http://hackfest.obnosis.com | http://nuke.obnosis.com
PLUG HACKFESTS - http://uat.edu Second Saturday of Each Month Noon - 3PM