I only use Cox for the net, and I have to say, coming from the Chicago area and dealing with Comcast, Cox is exponentially better. It's great being able to use bittorrent again and actually download things over HTTP at speeds worth paying $50-60/mo for. You guys bitch a lot about Cox, and I can understand why to a point, but it's been a breath of fresh air ditching Crapcast for them, that's for sure!

If they implement the throttling like they say and only affect things during "congestion" (whatever that means), this won't be that big of a deal. If they slow down instead of prevent the traffic, and only during those times, even better. If they do blanket filtering (not throttling) like Comcast does (I would say did, but don't believe the news, they still do) for all hours of the day, it'll leave their service just about as unusable as Comcast is. It's a shame that Qwest is so far behind with the speeds...... if Cox decides to screw their customers like Comcast has, we'll have no recourse (just like Comcast customers don't have). U-Verse and FiOS are pretty cool, but we have neither around these parts.
These government mandated monopolies are killing us. Sure would be nice if there was some real competition in the ISP market.

I'm not going to say that this is an outrage or that they absolutely will block everything because they may not. It's probably unlikely, but until we see it in action, we can't really speak to the performance.

-Joe

Tuna wrote:
Sharkscott wrote:

Its all about control, always has been. Its not like they can't, or
don't already. They decide when they want too, and what they will throttle.

Control..that's all.

It is *their* network. I hate depending on them, though. I have very few
good things to say about Cox. Everything from their annoying commercials
to their absolutely horrible service, and now this makes a DIY
self-lobotomy kit seem more attractive then anything they have ever
offered for a monthly price.