On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:55 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:

Alex Dean wrote:

On Mar 4, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:

Ryan Rix wrote:
How 'legal' is it for someone to upload the torrent somewhere?

I don't know (IANAL). I think it's pretty cheesy of them though to use the "limited time" pitch and then use a torrent for distribution. Stupid
(or maybe not-so-stupid?) marketing scam.

They're giving you a magazine and DVD for free.  How is that a scam?
(Are you expecting it to be full of adware?)

The 'limited time' thing is probably to create a sense of urgency, which
I agree is cheesy, but I hardly think that deserves to be called a
scam.  I'm sure they're hoping you'll like what you get, and maybe
subscribe for real.  Letting you try their magazine before you pay up
seems like a very honest way to promote their product.

Thanks, Alex. Scam was the wrong word. How about ploy?

Sure, ploy it is. Might have worked in my case. I'm thinking about subscribing.