>> How would I determine the answer to that question?
Look at /etc/passwd

Do:
grep joe /etc/passwd
and post the line(s)

>> I did examine those logs (17,000 lines in the last 4 days)
>> but I don't know what to look for.
Do:
find /var/log -type f -exec grep -H joe "{}" \;
And post the output.

Look at line:
Feb 10 18:18:16 localhost su: pam_unix(su:auth): authentication failure;
logname= uid=500 euid=0 tty=pts/1 ruser=joe rhost=  user=root

Now, from a console in 73, logged in as joe do:
ssh -v localhost
And post the reply.

Then from the other machine do:
ssh -v <73>