Yes, I usually install the keys and realize that my problem was either
a Root Allow = no or strict error checking or no hosts entry with
strict error checking, etc.

I would just make both sshd_config 's match and copy the old ones to backup.

restart the daemon

change both passwords

start a tcpdump -i eth0 >/tmp/dumpfile on the target server

do the ssh from the other server

get the error message from the logs:

(In 5 different window sessions):
# tail -f /var/log/auth.log
# tail -f /var/log/messages
# tail -f /var/log/secure
# dmesg

# grep ssh /tmp/dumpfile | more

Take all that information and shoot it into an email and send me or
Craig offline please?

Skype: (623)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452
http://obnosis.110mb.com/nuke/index.php