On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Wayne Davis
> Until linux becomes MUCH more plug & play, the
> "average" consumer will balk.

I used to often have the whole "not ready for primetime" and "for the
power user" discussion with an old co-worker and the conclusion we
both came to is that Linux will never be accepted until it *IS*
Windows.

In the last couple of incarnations of my choice of distribution, every
piece of random hardware I've plugged in has been plug and play.
Printers, cards, scanners, webcams, joysticks, and all sorts of USB
devices.  After an easy install, it was instantly online.  It all just
works.  For the software, there was indeed a learning curve, but that
happened with my Commodore Pet, TRS-80 Model I and every computer
since then.   My now 70 year old parents who are completely computer
illiterate use it daily for email, browsing, skype and webcam.

For the Windows "Power User," it's probably a good idea to stick with
Windows, but for almost everyone else, I think Linux is ready for 90%
of modern computer users.

Daniel