I firmly agree with Joseph on this one. We read from top to bottom.
And we read in chronological order. Thus there is no point in
rereading the same content 10 times because ten people responded to
it. This is not technical convention this is inefficacy at it's worst.
Top posting allows you to see the fresh content immediately. If you
have not been following the thread, or the response seems confusing,
or have a non-functional memory you can easily read on to regain
context.  I personally gave up the fight when I switched from pine to
a thread aware mail client. Now I use Googles web interface and so
what you do does not effect me, but bottom posting does negatively
effect some people on the list.