I run a mixture of Kubuntu, Centos, and Fedora systems, along with WinXP
and Win7.

I've never used Unity, nor have I ever laid eyes on whatever the current
version of Gnome is, except perhaps as screenshot on some webpage.

I started using Kubntu back when Fedora made the switch to KDE 4, which
was so pathetically and painfully broken at the time that the developers
would have been sued were KDE a commercial product.  Kubuntu was still
using version 3.5, and by the time they made the switch to 4.x, it had
matured to the point it was usable.

Today kde 4.6 and 4.7 work very well.  Kubuntu 11.10 works great, as did
11.04 and 10.10 and 10.04.  There are of course a few rough edges on
this latest version, but nothing catastrophic.

KDE is not particularly attractive straight out of the box, but it is
easy to update and configure to your liking.

If Ubuntu is not working well because of Gnome/Unity problems, try
Kubuntu.

If you're familiar with the Windows UI conventions you'll be right at
home.

Lee Reynolds
Tech Support Analyst Sr
ASU Advanced Computing Center