Correct, though those came long after it'd already nauseated me the first time. When I needed to compile everything I needed anyways, slack was a much better option - in 1999.

Fast forward to 2007, the last time I purposely had to deal with RHEL, my experiences were not all that dissimilar. Much of the software I use is of a network monitoring nature (snmp, perl, pgsql), and for better or worse a lot of dependencies that simply didn't exist in repos. I ended up having to compile a lot of things, and still fell into weird linking errors to things that were simply never an issue in ubuntu whether I had to roll my own or not. It was just as cranky as it was 7 years prior.

Perhaps I'm a bit grizzled and stubborn, but I really don't get why I or my companies should use RH or its ilk. It's always felt... solaris-ish - day late, dollar short. With ubuntu on the poop list these days too, I need to rediscover new/old options so maybe I'll see what the rpm loving world has to offer these days.

-mb