If I understand what I've been reading about the DVI interface, without the 4 pins around the horizontal bar, there's no analog output in the plug--see diagram. The DVI-D ones--which is what I have on one machine--do not have the analog signal.

Quoting: "As well as digital signals, the DVI connector includes pins providing the same analog signals found on a VGA connector, allowing an analog VGA monitor to be connected with a passive plug adapter (or with a converter cable with VGA at one end, and DVI-A or DVI-I at the other). This feature was included in order to make DVI universal, as it allows either type of monitor (analog or digital) to be operated from the same connector.

The DVI connector on a device is therefore given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:

  • DVI-D (digital only, both single-link and dual-link)
  • DVI-A (analog only)
  • DVI-I (integrated – digital and analog)"
One machine has  both DVI-I & VGA ports, the other only the DVI-D,. I'll try to find a spare video card and see if that will help.

Mark

Stephen wrote:
I have dual link DVI output on my graphics card, and it worked fine
with the simple adapter.

I can look and see if i have a spare. 10 bux for that is ridiculous.