Opps, 495/year for straight talk unlimited voice, not monthly.

On 06/22/2012 10:37 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
I have a galaxy nexus now, and I'm rather torn with it. It's the second
samsung android that has given me nothing but fits, and I'm thoroughly
convinced samsung cannot make hardware to save their life. I suffer from
various issues from bluetooth/wifi instability, audio routing issues,
simple reboots, you name it. But the display is friggin' beautiful. I
snubbed a razr maxx because of the display, and cursed motorola for not
having a 720p phone to compete at the time, as I'd take a moto phone any
day.

I've had a bionic and droidx, and both were good until either getting
crashed on concrete or taking a swim inadvertently. Definitely noticed
android usability got well improved with dual core going from dx to
bionic, really looking forward to quad's. Just need to fix the battery
life, as my gnex kills me with ~5hr use on charge.

Service wise - I'm shopping right now after getting a +$900 phone bill
this month from them. I've considered for a while, as for 3 phones, 2
with data, one 4g hotspot, I pay almost 250/mo, after a 21% employee
discount. Slapping me upside the face for voice overage charges, even
after I upgraded to unlimited minutes this month to avoid it has really
been a bit too much. After years of that, it is starting to hurt just
for the absurd cost alone. This is twice vzw has got me to leave, though
first time I came back after sprint proved absolutely horrid both in
wireless and customer service.

A buddy went to straight-talk from att, which straight-talk uses att,
and actually gets better quality service. I've noticed just from talking
to him and not getting disconnected 3 times on every call. 460/mo I
think for voice service is pretty damn reasonable, as I more or less
consider voice legacy technology. I'm not keen on giving up on vzw's 4g
service, especially my unlimited data @30/mo, but I know it's only a
matter of time before they just screw everyone with it anyways. I've
also read Clear Wireless has very reasonable rates, planning to do some
more research on them this weekend.

Vzw's new "shared data" is a joke, and more absurd than any of their
current pricing. I was actually looking forward to it, as between my
hotspot and phone, I don't really use *that* much data. Hotspot is more
of a backup for work and really rarely used unless im traveling, so
shared minutes should be a boon, but I'd pay well more than what I get
today. I'd like a connected tablet too, but can't justify another
40-60/mo for one on a non-shared plan, and doesn't justify their shared
at all.

As much as I like vzw's service, it's getting harder to justify their
cost, especially when they screw with me with an absurd bill.

-mb