For giggles I bought "complete linux installer" from the market and had ubuntu booting on my vzw galaxy nexus in short order. It's doable without buying the installer, but I was feeling lazy, and it was cheap. With the full ubuntu/unity install I couldn't even effectively render the desktop through vnc in any usable fashion. I was going to go back and put lxde on it, then jumped to jellybean, and haven't really had the need or want to revisit lately. I also didn't want to bother until the builds settle down a bit as you're wiping clean to jump roms effectively.

It definitely works, just go with lxde builds for it.

-mb