I think you misunderstand what Google Voice is.
1) It is NOT voicemail.  It has voicemail, but it's intended to function
opposite to a voicemail service.
2) People should be calling your Google Voice number directly; it then forwards
to (rings) one or more actual phones (home phone, cellphone, gmail, etc...) and
redirects to voicemail if you don't pick up.

The idea is that you give everyone your Google Voice number, but not your home
or cell number(s).  Then you can change home or cell service without impact to
people who want to call you.
You also gain control options, such as setting some callers to only ring
through on weekdays, or setting some callers to ring the home phone but not the
cellphone.

So the reason it doesn't work the way you want is that your concept has it
behind your normal phone; it's actually the reverse in that your normal phone
is *behind* Google Voice.

Hopefully that helps make it clearer.