On 6/22/05, Rai Ricafrente <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "You know what I found? Right in the kernel, in the heart of the
> operating system, I found a developer's comment that said, 'Does this
> belong here?' "Lok says. "What kind of confidence does that inspire?
> Right then I knew it was time to switch."
>
> Ouch.

<snip>

depends on your frame of thought. you could interpret it as one of the
following:

  1. nobody knows what they are doing which is why it was committed in
the source tree.
  2. nobody is sure if the line is appropriate in the place where it
is found thus an inquiry comment is posted to flag it for further
analysis.
  3. nobody is sure if the line in question can impact other
functionality but the line is needed for some features.

  OSS development thrives because source code is available for peer
review. i dont know the rationale behind that comment in the kernel
source code but i am viewing whoever posted it as either humble enough
to know that his coding skills/knowledge is not greater than the
skill/knowledge of the whole thus his submission for their cumulative
expertise, or somebody who cares enough about the project that he is
reviewing other people's work.

  but all of that is just my assumption. just use what works for you.
if linux does not fit my needs then i will gladly dump it for
something else.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back"

Anuerin G. Diaz
Registered Linux User #246176
Friendly Linux Board @ http://mandrivausers.org/index.php