Hi Jan, you should also inquire at the Advanced Science and Technology Institute which is an agency under the DOST. There is a project on VOIP for use in the government so this would really fit into your requirements.

On 3/13/06, C Blue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

jan gestre wrote:

>  i work for a government agency, and recently the Dept. of Budget and
> Management issued a memo to use voip to save money from long distance
> calls, i would like to setup voip in our dept, what are the hardware
> requirements to setup one aside from having a dsl line?

* minimum hardware requirement 1 server (running OpenSER or Asterisk or
(the older) OpenH323 GK)
* for clients, you'd need either a IPPhone, or a PC with a sound card
running a softphone (software ip phone, which may support the following:
H323, SIP (most common), IAX, MGCP, etc.)

> would buying a voip capable phone suffice?

yes, but you'd be setting it up as a peer-peer, which means user's would
need to dial the phone's ip address.  better to use a server which will
act as a gateway/router/register (depending on which protocol you'll
use, I'd recommend SIP).

> and is using voip free? i mean totally free?

if by free you mean opensource, then yes.  there are lots of opensource
components you can use to build your voip infrastructure.

> any good howto especially for debian?

the easiest, imho, is to use asterisk or [EMAIL PROTECTED]  once you get
comfortable with the voip concepts, explore the other projects.  But for
most internal usage, asterisk would suffice.  It is designed to be a
soft-pbx which is what you most likely need.

for a start, setup asterisk (or [EMAIL PROTECTED]) with some xten lite as
clients.  play with it and see if that's what you need.  you can buy the
voip hardware after you've setup your first asterisk, not before.

hth,
Blue

RAGE CALLAO
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]