On 5/29/06, Zak B. Elep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Rage! =)

On 5/29/06, Rage Callao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/29/06, Ariz Jacinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > http://picasa.google.com/linux/
>
> Has anybody seen the licensing terms for this? Is it possible to
> bundle this with a distro?

Seems not; there has been some talk about it on ubuntu-devel, where
(according to Michael Vogt) Ubuntu won't be able to put it in either
the universe or multiverse components of Ubuntu.[0]

Why? Is it because of licensing? Is there a prohibition in the license
itself against redistribution? I read the license and the FAQs but
google is vague about it.

Furthermore, the current Picasa package seems to bundle its own Wine
distribution, which seems to be the reason why the .deb is so big.
Ian Murdock also commented about it.[1]

Yup, a native port would have been better but if it works it works.
I've tried it now on BL4 Beta2 and its working perfectly. I'm hoping
if its redistributable, we could bundle this. 20megs is inconvenient
to download for those on dialup.

[0]  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2006-May/018288.html
[1]  http://ianmurdock.com/?p=336

--