both soft updates and journalling are designed to solve the same problem.
both have their own merits but i don't think they can be directly be compared
as apples to apples. we can, however, directly compare a variety of journalling
filesystems which i think would be another different "religious" discussion.  :)

speaking of  fsck ,  it was admitted by the *BSD community that  fsck
does not scale well on larger file storage capacities (TeraBytes):
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-jan-2005-mar-2005.html#Filesystem-journalling-for-UFS

"It's time to bite the bullet and admit that fsck is no longer
scalable for modern
storage capacities. While a healthy debate can still be had on the merits and
data integrity guarantees of journalling vs. SoftUpdates, the fact
that SoftUpdates
still requires a fsck to ensure consistency of the filesystem metadata after an
unclean shutdown means uptime is lost. While background fsck is available, it
saps system performance and stretched the fsck time out to hours."
-- Scott Long (FreeBSD)

but now, journalling is supported on FreeBSD (via gjournal) and would be
supported on _NetBSD_ (via JFFS) :

http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-apr-2006-jun-2006.html#GJournal
http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html#j-ffs
http://www.netbsd.org/Foundation/press/soc2006-summary.html

anyway, here's an updated presentation on Linux Kongress 2006 wherein
a "real-world" performance benchmark was conducted between journalling
vs soft updates using various filesystems and OSes:
http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/talk.pdf

On 2/5/07, Paolo Alexis Falcone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 17:30 +0800, Keech Angelo Famorca
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> IMHO Linux have yet to have a stable filesystem.

I think this is just flame bait... <fanning the flames>anything that
still needs a full fsck to recover from a crash is no stable filesystem
for me.</fanning the flames>

Kidding aside, soft updates is still a young concept (McKusick's paper
on it was released in 2000, with a FreeBSD implementation merged in
2002) which has been into BSD UFS for the last four years. Journalling
on the other hand, has been in Unix implementations for a very long time
already, and has already proven its worth regarding stability. The likes
of ext3, XFS and JFS have been in Linux for roughly the same amount of
time, with the latter two being in commercial Unix for an even longer
period of time. We all do know of the disadvantages of FS journals
though ... which soft updates aimed to skirt around.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
[EMAIL PROTECTED]