"Joey S. Eisma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 02:26 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:47:42 +0800
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zak B. Elep)
>> Subject: Re: [plug] weird arrow key behaviour in xubuntu
>> To: plug@lists.linux.org.ph
>>
>> "Joey S. Eisma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > i got weird behaviour using my keyboard when doing a vi: up arrow
>> > key displays A, right arrow displays C, down arrow displays B, left
>> > arrow D.
>>
>>   Do these letters follow a `^[[' character sequence?  If so, that's
>>   perfectly normal; you could reproduce the same behavior in a CLI
>>   interface that doesn't implement command line buffer lists,
>>   e.g. telnet.
>>
>>   I don't know why vi would suddenly display that behavior, however; did
>>   you run some previous tool that changed the terminal's behavior
>>   (e.g. ncurses apps that didn't reset the terminal, et al?)
>>
> no. after installation, the first thing i did is to
> vi /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> arrow keys has been behaving like that eversince. i didn't see this
> behaviour from versions prior to 6.10.

I believe that's because vi in Edgy is vim-tiny; before that, vi was the
full vim. Difference being vim-tiny is a subset of vim, and that subset
excludes keyboard cursor key translation to the standard vi cursor
movement keys (h,j,k,l).

Simply apt-get install vim-full, do update-alternatives --config vi and
select vim to get back cursor key mapping.

--
JM Ibanez
Senior Software Engineer

[EMAIL PROTECTED]