Im using and USB to IDE cable with separate power supply for this, and i
cant use it through USB hub -- i must plug it directly to the machine's USB
port or else it will throw errors about delayed write.

See my set up using a laptop:
http://corruptedpartition.blogspot.com/2007/09/cheapest-way-to-upgrade-your-laptop.html

On 9/19/07, JM Ibanez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Rafael Sevilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:14:09 +1000
> > "Holden Hao" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> BTW, the enclosure is a generic China-made product with 2 USB jacks.
> >> Can anybody tell me why there are 2 jacks?  I suspect this is for
> >> supplying power however, it works with just the main jack plugged in.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I recently encountered a similar issue, with a -71 USB error from the
> > kernel.  It was extremely frustrating.  Some deep searching revealed
> > that the problem was probably because the USB 2.0 standard has more
> > stringent cabling requirements than USB 1.1, and that presumably
> > disabling USB 2.0 support would allow the rive to be used with the
> > cable I had, albeit at extremely reduced speeds. As the drive I put in
> > the thing is a 160 GB drive with a lot of large files, such a thing was
> > unacceptable.  Instead, I managed to find a replacement cable, and
> > it has been working properly ever since.
>
> You might also want to check if you're being hit by this bug
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/61235
>
> It's not the same thing, but it might affect you nonetheless.
> --
> JM Ibanez
> Software Architect
> Orange & Bronze Software Labs, Ltd. Co.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://software.orangeandbronze.com/

Roger P. Filomeno
TechBiz Asia Group Pte Ltd

http://corruptedpartition.blogspot.com/
send MSG GODIE <YOUR MESSAGE> to 2948

$> who | grep -i blond | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount;
gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep