How about:

  * Linux Base OS on the first disk. backup images will be stored here.
  * raid 0 on 2nd and 3rd disks. VM's will be created there.

If you don't mind OpenSolaris as the base OS and virtualbox or
kqemu/qemu for the following reasons:
  * ZFS compression. VM images are highly compressible, 1.5x or higher.
  * Attack of the clones. Create say, base Linux VM 10Gb. then create
5 VM clones of the base linux. you say you need 50Gb of total space?
how about 200Mb of space only on each one? This works since ZFS clones
are just writable snapshots, and ZFS only stores the deltas compared
to the original base VM OS. Efficient use of space and No redundant
data.
  * VM speed creation. It only takes seconds to create a ZFS clone,
which is just another guest VM, and as mentioned above, takes minimal
space.

Tremendous savings on disk space and your time.

--
regards,
Andre | http://www.varon.ca