On 4/18/08, Winelfred G. Pasamba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> on the other hand compression MIGHT theoretically speed up access if
>  you CPU(s) compresses / decompresses faster than your disk writes /
>  reads.

Yeah. I remember back in the DOS days wherein I/O on some files on a
drive compressed with Stacker/DriveSpace/DoubleSpace have faster I/O
on an uncompressed drive because the CPU (a 386) does the
compression/decompression than the slow hard disk (maybe even the hard
disk controller because it was on an ISA bus) at that time.

--
Gideon N. Guillen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]