http://mashable.com/2014/04/06/boy-breaks-microsoft-security/

Has this ever happened to an open source app?  Sorry, couldn't resist to jab.

Peace!

________________________________
 From: Rogelio Serrano <rogelio.serr...@gmail.com>
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
<plug@lists.linux.org.ph>
Sent: Friday, 11 April 2014, 18:17
Subject: Re: [plug] OpenSSL TLS Hearbeat read overrun

On 11 Apr 2014 05:06, "fooler mail" <fooler.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> there is no point between open and closed source when it comes to
> security because of the premise there is no bullet proof system..
>
> what im saying below that others claimed open source is much more
> secure  than closed source is a big lie.. my point neither the open
Can the open source community harass the reporter of the bug? Can the open
source community suppress the information?
Have you ever been threatened with a lawsuit for finding a security hole?
It's not nice at all. Usually they tell you you can't afford to say you are
right.
It is for that reason alone they I trust open source more.
Is it really about which is more secure? What matters is that discovery and
corrective action is transparent and possible.
How can you fix a security hole when you don't have the code? Even a website
has proprietary code in it and cannot be ordinarily patched by anyone willing
to fix the html or whatever scripting language is used.