On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:52, John Jason Jordan <joh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The reason I need the GUI is to be able to find wireless networks when
> I am away from home, select one, and connect to it. It is far faster to
> do so from the GUI (assuming I can get it to work) than from the
> command line. Furthermore, I am soon going to upgrade to Jaunty, and in
> Jaunty the GUI works much better. I know that from trying the live CD
> of the release candidate. But at the moment I am not sure that the GUI
> package is even installed.

strangely, my (xubuntu 8.10) netbook won't even let me configure the
wireless network into functionality from the command line.  i have
been unable to duplicate whatever it is doing (and i've been doing the
iwconfig/iwlist scanning solution manually for years on other
computers--even set up wpa-supplicant manually once, maybe 2 years
ago), and so have resorted to running the xfce4-panel with just that
dude (well, nm-applet) in.  it works, but it is kind of silly to run
that panel without a real window manager (my "window manager" just
fullscreens every app and lets me toggle between them).  however,
nm-applet works flawlessly, even if the panel is mighty confused
(tends to jitter back and forth between the top and the middle of the
screen.  wish it were something to do with simply loading kernel
modules, because i've tried duplicating the list that show up when NM
runs, and no dice.

anyway as you say, scanning for new networks and autoconnecting to
one-of-the-many-i've-already-setup is way easier through NM, so i
finally gave up and bowed to the dark side of letting that complex
software-stuff do its business.