Yes it does! My wife has an older iPod 3g and it works like a charm, I
was even able to get freedoom to play on it with decent framerate (looks
ugly with the B/W screen though). I've converted all of her music into
.ogg format and when she needs to add music on the device she can now
just copy them over directly (like a regular USB drive) and still play
them. I'd never really messed with an iPod before but it shocked me to
find out that although you can copy files/music directly onto the device
the iPod music player will not recognize any songs that are not added on
with iTunes (or something that spoofs it like rhythmbox). Anyone that
appreciates the hardware capabilities of modern mp3 players but is
frustrated by the software limitations most companies add should check
it out. I'm not certain if it's true with all mp3 players but for my
wifes iPod there was even a non-firmware installer so there was no risk
of 'bricking' the device if something went wrong.

chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 08:00, Donkyhotay <donkyho...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> When my wife inherited an iPod I just installed rockbox onto the iPod
>> itself so that it could play .ogg files and also play music copied
>> directly onto it's hard drive without needing 'special' software to do so.
>
> Holy crap, rockbox works on ipods?  it is intensely cool software that
> i've been using on my archos jukebox for years now--i had no idea
> they'd branched out to ipods.  highly recommended experience if it
> behaves the same--very open source friendly (heck, the OS itself is
> Open source!)

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on
beliving in windmills