On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 20:27 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
> Joe Pruett <j...@clean.q7.com> dijo:
> >
> > ah, i was thinking an overnight unattended backup.  can you cd to
> > /media/whatever from the command line?  the little bit i've played with
> > ubuntu, it seems like it makes things look like they're in /media, but
> > they're really in some .gvfs dir off your home directory.
>
> Oh wow! You're onto something! I don't know what yet, but I do have
> a .gvfs directory, and rdiff-backup refuses to back it up because it
> says I do not have permission. I run rdiff-backup as root, so that
> surprised me. It is the only thing that rdiff-backup refuses to back
> up. And (not knowing what it is) I tried to delete it, but even from
> the command line as root I could not delete it.
>
> Furthermore, I spoke too hastily when I said I had managed to restore
> my computer to normal operations after deleting the backup that went to
> sda1. Nautilus has lost all my settings, including bookmarks.
> Furthermore, I had set things so even Desktop would never be displayed
> on the desktop (I like a clean screen). Now Nautilus is displaying
> every folder splattered all over the desktop, not just the Dekstop
> folder. Grrrr.
>
> There was a discussion here recently about where Nautilus keeps
> bookmarks, but I didn't save the discussion and I can't find it. It's
> in a text file in a hidden folder in my home folder, but I can't
> remember the name of the file or where it was located.

It's a hidden text file in your user's home directory:

~/.gtk-bookmarks

Mine looks like this:

mcu...@drifter:~$ cat .gtk-bookmarks
file:///home/mcubed/Documents
file:///home/mcubed/Music
file:///home/mcubed/Pictures
file:///home/mcubed/Videos

As for your backup problem, I don't really understand the ins-and-outs
of the GNOME Virtual File System, nor how it treats permissions of
removable, temporary mounts under /media.  It sounds like you ran into a
permissions issue with rdiff-backup & gvfs.  I'm curious as to why you
run pybackpack as root ... one, I thought Ubuntu disables root access,
and two, if you are backing up your user's /home, then your user should
have read & write access to everything there, so why try to run the job
as root?

I don't use pybackpack, but I do use rdiff-backup.  I run it from cron
every night.  (Gnome Schedule is a handy GUI front-end for cron jobs --
you just type in the command and then pick the times you want it to run,
or tell it "daily," "weekly," etc., if you don't care about the specific
time.  It's somewhat less arcane than manually editing the crontab.)  I
backup my /home to a directory on my second hard drive that is owned by
my user.  The command, minus an option or two, is:

$ rdiff-backup /home/mcubed /backup/uhome

The directory /backup is owned by root, but /backup/uhome is owned by my
user, so I can write to it.  I run the job from my user account, and it
works flawlessly.  Maybe you are introducing some complications by
trying to run your job as root?

About once a week I manually run a second instance, to backup my
existing backup to an external drive (which I have to turn on and
plug-in, which is why I run the job manually):

$ rdiff-backup -b /backup/uhome /media/disk/back_uhome

The "-b" option tells rdiff-backup to force "backup mode" -- without the
-b option, rdiff-backup will refuse to backup what it correctly
identifies as a backup.  Again, I do this from my user account, which
has read & write access to the source directory (/backup/uhome) and the
target directory (/media/disk/back_uhome).

--
Michael M.